I love my slow cooker. I use it every night. It’s the only way I have found that I am able to handle everything I need to do during the day. My husband and I plan and prep a weeks worth of meals in one night so everything we eat has to be easy, quick, healthy and filling.
This pumpkin chili checks all the boxes. Its rich and thick and filling. It is vegan, sugar free, gluten free, and dairy free. I often add shredded goat cheese for the kids (this make it no longer vegan or dairy free) but they prefer it with cheese and if it helps them eat their dinner I’m fine with it. This is my daughters favorite meal. It is so comforting and warm. The perfect thing for a cold, rainy day. It’s also thick enough for a 1 1/2 year old to eat with a spoon on her own.
I prep all of the fresh ingredients ahead of time and add the canned or tinned food on the day.
- pureed pumpkin: This was a really big one so I only used half but with a small one I would use the whole thing. If you live in a place where you can buy a tin of pureed pumpkin you can use this instead but fresh will always be better
- 2 onions
- 2 bell peppers
- beans. here I used about a cup of black beans but I have also used black eyed peas and it worked very well.
- carrots. I love these bit winterpeen carrots for cooking. Probably because I hate peeling carrots and, therefor, the bigger the better.
- zucchini or courgette (same vegetable but called different things depending on where you live)
- 1 can tomato cubes or “blokjes”
- 1 container of pureed tomato
- 2 peppers (use whatever one will give you the “heat” you want)
- 1 tbs Coriander
- 1 tbs Cumin
- 2 tbs soy sause
- 1 tbs lime juice
- bullion cubes ( these are my “dirty little secret”. I put them in everything.) I use the Zonnatura brand because they are organic
Start by prepping your veg. I shredded 2 big carrots and 1 zucchini. I baked 1 pumpkin and used half. I cut the bell pepper and onion into chunks. I also cut up about 3 cloves of garlic and 2 chilli peppers but use as much as you like! If you prefer your chili more “chunky”cut up the carrots into chunks instead of shredding them.
I also added 2 bullion cubes and the spices.
This is half of the baked pumpkin.
Then it all goes into the slow cooker.
Starting to look pretty!
Now add in the tomato blokjes, lime juice, soy sauce and puree.
Give it a stir
I set mine for 8 hours. This machine will automatically switch to “low”after that time.
After it is done you will have the most amazing vegan chili EVER!
I will say that it is not spicy at all. My kids don’t like very spicy food so I keep it mild and add tobasco to my bowl. It would be very easy to add chili powder and such if you want it hot.
I like to add avocado and grated goat cheese. No longer vegan so decide on toppings based on your own beliefs.
This is my daughters favorite meal. When I put it in front of her I got a “hooray for chili”
The really nice thing about this recipe is that it is truly adaptable. If you don’t have pumpkin, use a squash, or sweet potato puree. It’s for thickness and added nutrition so any thick puree would work. Like yours spicy? Add some chilli powder. Use whatever bean you have on hand. Or no bean. Or lentils. It’s a very forgiving recipe! Perfect for a “throw together” weeknight meal.